Friday 30 January 2009

dogs might fly!

from A Dog Year by Jon Katz. the author has just picked up his new border collie at the airport after chasing him through the crowds there.

I decided to take Devon for a short walk before introducing him to Paula and the house. Partway down the block, he was walking alongside me so easily, his nose to the ground sniffing the pavement, that I relaxed a bit for the first time that night. My tree-lined suburban street seemed serene compared to Newark Airport.

An ill-advised reverie: With a sharp jerk of the leash from my hand, Devon was gone. I spun around in all directions and saw no trace of him--until I happened to glance at a passing minivan and saw him perched on the roof as it drove slowly down the street. I didn't believe it. I couldn't believe it. Dogs don't fly.

Brandishing a pooper-scooper in my right hand, I gave chase, shouting as I went, "Hey! Hey, stop! Stop, there's a dog on the car." My neighbors walking their terrier across the street paused in shock and stared.

the book explains the trials and tribulations of getting an adolescent border collie, which makes sam seem like a dignified king poodle in comparison. perversely, the book made me want a collie even more.

No comments: